A real flavour explosion
As the festive holiday season draws near I bet you all are getting your chefs hats on and figuring out the Christmas lunch menu this year. While meat is the obvious choice and barbecues are the go to way to cook, I find people often struggle to come up with equally tasty vegetarian options.
There’s definitely more to vegetables than roast potatoes and a boring green salad. Today’s recipe is not only vegan/vegetarian but it will also make sure to please the hearts of hardcore meat eaters. So this Christmas try this lip smackingly delicious Green Bean salad with mint and sumac. I promise it will be a hit.
Ingredients: 12 Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 500 gms of green beans, ends trimmed
- Two fresh tomatoes, chopped
- One red onion, sliced
- Two pods of garlic, finely chopped
- One bunch of fresh parsley( stems and leaves), chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- One teaspoon red chilli flakes
- One tablespoon sumac powder
- One tablespoon dried mint leaves
- One teaspoon of brown sugar
- Salt to season
- Five tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic, onions and chopped parsley stem. Cook until aromatic and the onions lightly caramelised.
Now add tomatoes, all the dried spices and sugar. Cook until the tomatoes are slightly soft.
Then add the green beans, lemon juice and season with salt. Cook until the beans are tender.
Garnish with fresh parsley and serve at room tempature. You can also top it with crumbled feta if you want to make it a bit more decadent.
Enjoy the festive season with this flavour bomb.
Who would have thought this odd couple would be so good together…
I love the idea of summer. Why wouldn’t you when you think of summer you think of the beach, pina colada, flowy summer dresses and perhaps sailing across the seas on an all indulgent yacht. Then summer comes and you are nothing but a giant mess of grime and sweat!
On hot days my tip is eat well to feel good and stay hydrated. Lots of salads and greens to chill your insides. Moreover when they come in the form of this lip smackingly delicious salad, you will instantly go from hating summer to loving summer.
Ingredients: 10 Preparation time: 10 minutes
- One continental cucumber, finely sliced
- 125 gms of peas, steamed
- One tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- One teaspoon dried mint leaves
- One teaspoon smoked paprika
- One tablespoon black sesame seeds,toasted
- 125 gms of goats cheese, crumbled
- One tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt and pepper to season
In a bowl combine sliced cucumber, steamed peas, dill and mint. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
For the dressing, in another bowl combine EVOO, lemon juice, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Pour the dressing over the salad. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and goats cheese. Toss well before serving.
Enjoy this summer salad and feel thanda thanda cool cool!